What to look for in a student information system | Information Systems
The best thing about technology is that everything is on record. Therefore the info systems are really a blessing in disguise for us. All reputed schools, colleges and universities need to maintain student data. This is essential to keep a track of the student performance. Moreover, these records are extremely helpful when a contact is necessary with the parents to communicate the performance of the student. This is one reason that now student information system is greatly in use because it provides an authentic solution to data management. However, a question often comes to the mind that how will we figure out whether a student information system is efficient or not. I will just give you a smart guideline that will give you a clue about the best student information system.
Qualities of a good student information system – SIS
- A good student information system is easy to navigate. The basic quality of an information system is that it should not be complex. Student information system should add to the convenience so that the traditional register methods of keeping records can be stated as orthodox. Even if the operator is not so skilled he should be able to handle the student information system with ease.
- It is not possible for any system to be flawless. However, there is one possibility that developer should ensure that the student information system should have minimum defects. Moreover, all major defects should be rectified in the testing phase and there should no major bugs. Graphical bugs are more of a minor level and they can be attended to at a later stage, but the security of the records should remain intact in a student information system.
- Updation is the key when it comes to technology. A good developer would never be satisfied with his work and would target continuous improvement. This is only way a student information system can turn out to be flawless.
- Well another question is how would you a rate a student information system as perfect. Well every software application is prepared after acquiring detailed requirement from the user. This why the requirement gathering phase holds immense importance in the software development phase. Therefore the student information system should be prepared as per the guideline of the client and then it may be termed as perfect.
- Moreover, the developer should be able to code his application in a user-friendly way. For example, if he has to make changes in the application after providing it to the client he should be able to manage those changes in an efficient way. This is what a good student information system is all about.
Therefore, whenever you are planning to have a student information system in your institute then you should look for the mentioned qualities in your student information system. This way you will end up spending at the right place and you would be able to maintain the information of your students with ease and without encountering much of a problem. Moreover, it would be easier to extract the information about any student whenever it is required. Try outsourcing the work and opt for a good programmer who has the basic concept about object oriented programming. These way things are bound to go in your favor.
Title: What to look for in a student information system | Information Systems
Reviewed by Mohamed Mahmoud on Nov 20
Summary: What to look for in a student information system | Information Systems
Description: A good student information system is easy to navigate. The basic quality of an information system is that it should not be complex. Student information system